Tuesday, July 30, 2019

RWBY - Emerald Sustrai Trial & Error Worklog Part 2


I know it's been quite a long while since I wrote the first part of this worklog. I've mellowed out a bit in the cosplay scene and decided to just take my sweet time every time I start a new project so I wouldn't be stressed and sleep deprived every upcoming convention.

For now, I'm wrapping up this worklog before starting a brand new project.

Starting out with her chaps. I covered my leg first with cling wrap then masking tape where I'll be drawing my pattern. These are done while wearing the pants I'll be using for the cosplay underneath to avoid a fitting issues. I got them cheap from a secondhand clothing shop.


Since the entire thing is symmetrical, I only needed half of the piece so I cut off from the center, cleaned up the lines and worked out my final pattern from there.


It's a good thing I tested on a scrap fabric first. The fit is good but it was a tad bit long so I made some readjustments and tested again until I'm happy with the results.


Then I drafted the rest of the pieces like the straps on the top part and the knee details (I have no idea what to call them) by using the main pattern as base reference. I also inserted interfacing to keep it sturdy and in shape.


I inserted the top part between the layers of the main piece and sewed them together.


The straps are also made from the same fabric. I just sewed long tube strips, turned them right side out, ironed flat and stitched along the edges for a cleaner finish.


For the centerpiece details, first I drafted the pattern on paper and then traced the outline on fabric with chalk. Then I traced the outline with a straight stitch so that I have a cleaner guide to follow when I embroider the details.

Since I don't have an embroidering machine nor any fancy sewing machine that can do complex stiches (no custom size adjustments, etc), I just used the basic zigzag stitch and repeatedly sewed along the outline until it mimics the embroidered look. I also did the same thing on the inner outline but with a smaller size.


For the rivet details, I just used a split pin fastener. I painted the head silver and cut off the legs then glued them on with fabric glue. Then assembled all the pieces after all the details are done.


The next piece was her rectangular pouch. First I just drew a simple rectangle about 5" x 3" in size and another inch extended outside on the sides and bottom part.

I cut out four rectangles, two on each side with an interfacing sandwiched between them for structure. Then I hemmed the edges by using a repeated zigzag stitch to prevent fraying.


I also added another rectangle for the opening cap on top.


With the right sides facing each other, I sewed the edges of two rectangles together, leaving the top part open then pinched the inner bottom corners to get that rectangular prism structure.


when turned right side out

The details on the center is made up of a white strip of fabric with black bias binding on the sides which is then hand-sewn on the main body.


For her weapon holder, I just made a box using cardboard which I wrapped with fabric and the details are made the same way I did with her pouch.



For the big rivets, I used googly eyes which I sanded first before priming and then painting metallic silver.


Her belts are made from scratch, using bag straps and buckles.


One of the most challenging part of this cosplay was her prop since it involves a little bit of mechanism so that I can transform her guns into a sickle. The prop is made up entirely of rubber sheets with some screws, paint and contact cement.

I started out by drafting the pattern first. Basically, there are four main patterns. The handle, the nozzle and the blade is divided into two pieces which can be reconnected when transforming the gun into a sickle since the entire blade length wouldn't be able to fit inside the gun body when folded in.


As for the rest, I just figure them out as I go so this will probably be just a series of photos with occasional descriptions. This was the most trial and error part of my project so it was really easy to loose track of all the methods I used, which one works and which doesn't.

Just need to figure out how to structure the body

Like I said, figuring things out as I go along 😅😅😅


(using a thread as a cutter actually works lmao)
This is the part where the handle and the nozzle connects.
The handle is made up of layers of rubber sheets that are sanded down to a smooth finish.

how the parts are connected

putting in the structure support

As you can see on the left part of the picture above, there's an insertion space where the extension of the sickle will be connected.

adding in the blade

the gaps will be filled in

the blade extension and the trigger guard 

 
adding in structure and shape.

rough finish. had to sand the edges for a cleaner look

carved, cleaned and sealed


when the entire blade are assembled

The cylinder and the trigger guard are carved, sanded and sealed


Adding in the details, this is how the weapon looks when the blades are folded.

When unfolded

After priming and painting, it's finally done.

-----

More than making the prop, styling the wig is what stressed me out the most. I only had one shot and because I'm already crunching, I had to do it the night before the event.

base wig

First I had to try it on to determine how much length I should be cutting off then snipped a small portion as a guide.


Then I just gradually cut them off by layers, leaving a chunk of the innermost layer for the small double ponytails at her back.


That's about it. Honestly it wasn't that great, I wish I had hair iron to straighten out the waves and I could've done better with the bangs but at the end of the day I'm relieved it didn't end up a disaster.


Overall, the project was a success and I'm pretty proud of it. I hope I can get a good photoshoot soon.

1 comment:

Partner

Posts