Tuesday, April 16, 2019

RWBY - Emerald Sustrai Trial & Error Worklog Part 1


I was planning on writing about this worklog after a proper photoshoot but I guess it won't be happening anytime soon and I needed to post something new on my blog since I've been away for too long.

This isn't going to be a proper worklog tutorial though because the entire process is a messy series of trial and errors so it'll mostly be a series of progress photos. But I'll try to explain some of it as much as I can. Also, I'll be splitting this into two parts because if I don't, this post is going to be really long and photo-heavy.


This cosplay has been one of the most complicated project I've made so far. There are a lot of  patterns, details and small parts. But it's been an enjoyable experience learning a lot of new techniques and methods.


First of all, I had a hard time trying to figure out how to construct the patterns but I eventually settled into something that I can easily work with. For her white vest, I used a basic crop top as base and worked my pattern around it.


The front pattern is overlapped with a long rectangular strap that wraps around her neck. I basically just eyeballed its positioning and once I'm satisfied with the placement, I sketched the remaining pattern around it. I tested my drafts on scrap fabric first to make sure I got the right fit.


There isn't much to change on the back piece but the shoulder strap was extended to go all the way to the front and connects to the neck strip.



how the final piece looks like spread out

I went through two test drafts before I was happy with its fit. I also added hidden snaps on the neck intersection part to keep the collar in place and not loose in shape. It also snaps securely on the back.


For the back emblem, I lightly traced a googled image into paper to use as template.


And hand-painted it with acrylic. I had to be really careful because it'll really look messy if I made a mistake.

(i did made a mistake and had to use white acrylic paint to cover it up)

Then I sewed the final details like the bias edging after.

For the inner top, I just modified a shirt that I bought from a thrift store and turned it into a tube top. I was also lucky to have in me an old, unused belt with the right buckle for that center front detail. I just sawed off the unnecessary parts and attached it to the material.





The hand pieces are also made from the same material and lined with a non-stretch fabric. The strip that goes around the wrist and middle finger are locked with snap buttons so it can easily be removed or put on.

I also bought a bunch of similar looking beads which i put together for her bracelet-looking accessory (I don't know what to call it). I forgot to take photos of that progress but it's this part:



As for her armband, I first made a a rectangle piece for the base. Although it's more trapezoidal in shape so that it fits snugly on my arm. It also has to overlap a bit so that I can attach the velcro to keep it closed. The fabric I used is a silver-colored satin with thick interfacing for a strong structure.


Next I cut the same size on rubber sheet and divided it into three length-wise. I curved the edges a bit with sandpaper to have that emphasized groove. Then I primed and painted it silver.


After drying, I assembled and glued the pieces to the base.


For the footwear, I sewed the details on the socks to avoid ruining a good pair of shoes. I still have to use it for other cosplays after all.



That's about it for the first part. The rest will be about her gun prop, chaps and a little bit of wig styling. Feel free to comment if you have any questions. I'll try to post the next part as soon as I can.

Have a nice summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Partner

Posts